Slider

How to Live in a 230 Sq Ft Apartment

Monday, August 31, 2020

For those following me on the socials, you might know I moved out of NYC this past weekend. It's a temporary move and one I'm making only because working, eating, sleeping, ugly crying, etc. in the same room for an indefinite period of time is not great for one's mental health. But before I parted ways with the space I thought I'd offer some free advice on how to live in a 230 square foot apartment.

You avoid it at all costs. Unless you live in Manhattan and then, just like with everything else this city demands of you, you adapt.

In 2018, I was finally able to move into my own apartment in the West Village - a neighborhood on the west side of Manhattan. It's a beautiful neighborhood and one I had been dying to afford ever since I moved to NYC and realized that's where all the cool kids are. The stars finally aligned and I got my own place - my very own, teeny-tiny 230 sq. ft. studio apartment.


With a little more effort than I wanted to put in, I finally was able to make the small space not only livable, but lovable. Here are a few simple, no brainer ways I adapted.

1) Purge, purge some more and then purge whatever you have left.
That big tote bag full of wires that charged every model of cellphone you've had since playing Snake was your only form of mobile device entertainment? Yeah that's gotta go. Bridesmaids dresses you'll never wear again (despite what the bride told you)? Donate 'em. You don't have room for extra stuff so show your gratitude and then show them the door. Repeat this process once every season. Shit piles up fast. 

2) Think small.
No seriously, if you need to buy something, buy it small. You don't have anywhere to store a full size vacuum so get yourself a robot. And no more trips to Costco, you can't buy in bulk anymore. This will  inevitably lead to one of two things: 1) more frequent trips to the grocery store which means eating fresh food or 2) an addiction to Seamless. 

3) Show me the money.
As if overpaying to live in a pre-war, second story walk up wasn't enough, you'll have to shell out some extra dough for the necessities too. No laundry on site? Use a laundry delivery service. Live in a walk up? Get your groceries delivered. I hate grocery shopping and schlepping bags of groceries six blocks and up a flight of stairs is not my preferred method of cardio. That's a joke I don't have a preferred method of cardio.

4) Get creative. 
I may not store my sweaters in my oven but I definitely store all of my baking sheets, pots and pans, and mixing bowls in there. Obviously if you cook a lot this would be incredibly inconvenient but my apartment has a sorry excuse for a kitchen so there aren't a whole lot of Barefoot Contessa moments happening in there. I also used the space above door frames to install a shelf for items I didn't need that often.

5) Velvet hangers forever. 
I had about 500 of those bulky plastic hangers leftover from college and recently tossed them in favor of these velvet ones and you guys I kid you not I think I got back a solid 8 inches of space from that switch alone. Not only do they look more mature than hot pink plastic hangers but they are huge space savers. 

I promise it wasn't as bad as it sounds. The creaky floors, pullman kitchen, and drafty windows made me feel like a real New Yorker after two years of living in the city. Those walls witnessed a lot of happy moments and offered me a sanctuary for the not so happy ones. I know it sounds miserable but I already miss this place and I'm so grateful that I was able to make it my own. I will always love this city and I can't wait to be back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright