Slider

How to Deal

Thursday, October 1, 2015

I really do plan on keeping this blog lighthearted, but today's events have got my heart hurting and now I have these words burning a hole in my chest. I have to put them down. I hope you'll bear with me.

When I was 18 years old, I attempted suicide.

I was 200 miles away from home, living with strangers in an unfamiliar place and my long-distance boyfriend dropped the bomb that he no longer loved me. I had never felt so alone, so hurt and so incapable of dealing with my own emotions. You see, I had been struggling with depression and anxiety for years before this night. I had gone undiagnosed, untreated, and most importantly - uneducated.

I say "uneducated" because had I been told what depression is, I might not have decided to swallow two handfuls of pain killers in an attempt to end my own life. I say "uneducated" because had I known and recognized my own symptoms of depression, I might have gone to see a counselor instead of the emergency room doctor on duty that night. I say "uneducated" because instead of drinking a 16 oz. cup full of liquid charcoal to rid my body of the drugs, I could have been prescribed antidepressants.

Depression is so much more than feeling sad and I wish people would stop trying to make it seem that small and insignificant. For years I had felt emotionally unstable and unable to deal with the pressures and anxieties of my life. And one night, I felt that it would be better to feel nothing at all than to feel the pain I was experiencing.

Mental illness is not something you can pray away. It is not something that you can throw money at. And it certainly isn't going to go away on its own. Mental illness affects both men and women. You can be 18 or 85. Rich or poor. Single or married. Mental illness does not discriminate. Until we educate our society on the types of mental illness, the symptoms, and how to deal - we are going to continue to see days like this one. A day where someone is incapable of dealing with his emotions and it ends in tragedy.

I have been off of medication for four years now. I am confident in my ability to manage my stress levels and I know when it's time to get a "check up." I know what depression is. I know how it manifests itself and now I know how to deal with it.

Please know that my heart aches for these families and friends and even the complete strangers that are affected by today - another mass shooting. But my heart also aches for the forgotten victim, the person struggling with his or her mental illness that thought this was how to deal.

Please, please, please - if there is a war inside you, if you are questioning your own desire to live, tell someone. Tell anyone. Tell me. This is not something you have to deal with on your own. And it is certainly not something you need to be ashamed of.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know how or what I can do for you....but please know, you are loved!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your concern! This was almost ten years ago so I am in a much better place. I know I am surrounded by people who love me and support me. <3

      Delete
  2. Miss you and your sister!! I'll be praying for you!

    John 16:33 I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.

    Psalms 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the pit of destruction, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who you are, but I'm sure we miss you too :) Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. I am sorry that you have had to deal with this in your life and am happy that you this under control. But on a side note...You call this murderer a victim!!! How dare you!! Just because a person goes out and kills multiple people doesn't make him a sufferer of mental illness. If he actually suffered from mental illness then why would he question the true victims religion just prior to killing them? A person who was heavily armed with ammunition and body armor is not a sufferer of mental illness. I am tired of people blaming the mental health system in our country for bad people killing innocent human beings. A lot of times the person who may be suffering from mental illness may actually be under the care of a Dr. but makes the personal choice not to take their medications. The blame shifting in this country needs to stop! I do not think that he is a victim at all and to say so is a slap in the face to the real victims and families in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is so great that you have a passion for this issue. It scares me that as more shootings happen, the possibility of our society becoming numb is even greater. I assumed that this post would see some disagreements and I welcome them, truly. I welcome anyone that makes me think about a different perspective.

      Although our viewpoints on this subject are very different, I think we agree on one thing - we care about these victims. I do think the shooter is a victim and my heart hurts for him. I did not intend to diminish the pain and suffering that was caused by him and I don't think I did. My heart aches for anyone that experiences any kind of pain. I hope you continue to have this passion and empathy for others!

      <3

      Delete
  4. I love this I had a suicide in my family....and my friend Jeff bray hung himself last August.�� it's sad and this makes me smile I was depressed for so long and struggled with my weight and it was the worst 5 years of my life. You really don't know what someone is going through. I'm glad you didn't take your life Melissa seems to me you're pretty loved❤❤❤ and sharing your story took courage I guarantee you saved more than one life with this�� so thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright