Slider

NYC: Six Month Review

Monday, April 3, 2017

You guys. Has it really been six months since I moved here? Holy. Shit. I know some of you have been wondering how I've been adjusting. That's a lie. My mom is probably the only one who wonders about that and I talk to her like every other day. Anyways, I realized I hadn't posted in a while and thought this would be an interesting distraction for those of you who are at work, trying to find something to do until quittin' time (looking at you, sis....Amanda, while I have your attention - EMPTY THE J.CREW ONLINE SHOPPING CART BEFORE YOUR HUSBAND KILLS YOU).

The Rent: This was my biggest concern when contemplating the move. I thought I was going to be eating canned tuna and saltines in order to afford my rent which is so far from reality - a.) because I don't eat canned tuna and b.) because it's really not that much more than what I was paying in DC. It's also 100% worth the cost considering the amazing views I have when I wake up in the morning. If you follow me on Snapchat you've probably seen the view from my bedroom because I spam everyone at least once a week with a shot of it. Not sorry. 

The Rats: I've not seen a one.

The Subway: Honestly, I never take it. I walk almost everywhere and Uber everywhere else. On the few occasions I've taken the subway, I got where I was going on time and also didn't die. That's a lot more than I can say for DC's system which is currently rotting away along with our new administration. I digress.

The People: Hollywood likes to portray everyone in NYC as an asshole. Let me be clear, the concentration of assholes in this city is much higher than anywhere else. That being said, I still believe in the greater good of the human race and I've met quite a few strangers who have been extremely nice. I've also noticed that a lot of people here say they're going to do something and then don't. Like, don't ever just assume that because someone says they want to hang out this week that you're actually going to hang out. Make backup plans. And backup plans for your backup plans, etc.

The Dates: Keeping my lips sealed :)

The Nightlife: Everything revolves around alcohol. Don't expect to do anything sober. Also, no one told me that I'd need a completely separate wardrobe for weekends. In DC, you can get away with wearing flats, cigarette pants, and a button down to the bar. Here you need heels, an all black ensemble, and visible flesh in order to be allowed into an establishment. Noted.

I still can't believe I packed up my entire life and moved to a strange city. This is the scariest thing I've ever done but I'm so glad I did it. Moral of the story is, it's never too late to change direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan
|

Your copyright

Your own copyright